Tuesday 28 May 2013

Iron Man 3

BLURB

When Tony Stark's world is torn apart by a formidable terrorist called the Mandarin, he starts an odyssey of rebuilding and retribution. 

* * * MILD SPOILER ALERTS * * *

Popped out to the old picture house this evening to check out the new Iron Man sequel. Sadly, as it's been out for a while*, there was no 3D option. I would have enjoyed seeing this with all the bells and whistles!

I really enjoyed this - considerably more than it's predecessor to be honest. Though I try to keep expectations low whenever I see a Marvel Universe Film (because I enjoy the world so much, I have to prepare myself mentally for another Wolverine. Or X3. That just about broke my heart.), I was genuinely uncertain about what I should expect from this, especially given the ramifications of The Avengers (Avengers Assemble). And don't be lead by the trailer - that presents a very different film to the one I watched!

The back to basics focus on the man behind the suit was certainly an unexpected but welcome step. It was so good seeing Tony Stark vulnerable again - and in such an unpredictable way for the character. Though it had the potential to be really hokey, I found his interactions with his underage sidekick to be very touching. 

Additionally, it was great seeing Tony work without all the hubris. His persona has frequently resulted in his serious skills as a super hero being called into doubt - most spectacularly when S.H.I.E.L.D. refused to put him on the regular Avenger role call. Watching him refit himself into the role of the mechanic was a lovely way to turn about this tendency. 

I'd recommend to the three people who haven't seen it yet. A good solid film and - if the character was starting to appear a bit glib in his more recent films - the opening scenes are a beautiful way of refreshing your viewing palate!

Oh, for those who have seen it. Is this the first in the Marvel Universe that doesn't feature Samuel L Jackson. 
Yes I could Google it. I'm feeling lazy! Don't judge. 



*3 weeks. Barely. Man the Box Office is cruel this time of year.

NB 
There is an after credits scene. I forgot to check before I went and had to do that loud whisper convince to himself to sit through the long looooong list of credits with me (I knew that he would, he always does, but he prefers to know that he's definitively waiting for a guaranteed result!).

No comments:

Post a Comment